Thursday, January 05, 2006

ON ROLEPLAY & +S

Apparently the +s has gone unnoticed or is acceptable at the #BD.

If the latter, I again find myself unable to understand such complacency.

Yeah, I know I've talked about this before but I'm a bit more coherent
this time and calmer, so bear with me.I want to get this down before I return
to incoherency .

A year or so back the Dagger went to a "reg'd nick" only access policy.While
that would prevent unregistered newcomers from entering the channel, it didn't
mean they could not see the channel's description, topic heading and website
addy on the channlist. A newcomer could at least have some information on
which they could decide whether or not they wanted to register a nick in order
to join the channel and try the roleplay waters.

Then a bit later, Starchat adopted a rule that in order to view the complete
list of active channels, you had to register your nick.

So now the Dagger and the rest of the rp possibilities open to a newcomer
were not there on the list to pique anyone's interest. Had this policy been in
effect in 1997, I would never have discovered #Camelot or even begun roleplay
because I would have not seen it (and the #Broken Dagger) on the channel list.
In an era where IRC is competing with online ganes such as Final Fantasy and
Everquest,it seems to me we should be doing everything we can do to entice
new blood into channels instead of hiding from it.

Now comes the impostion of the +s channel mode. With this, there's a bot
routine that activates the +s mode under certain conditions. In the present
Starchat #Camelot, it happens when there's no active nicks in the channel
(or so I believe; I'm not an expert.) But from what I can tell from afar, all three
BD channels, including the OOC and OPS channs are in +s mode full time
and so all three are not on the channel list.

This means they are not viewable even by a registered Starchat nick user if
they are looking for them on the active channel list. This might.be of no
great concern to the chann regulars who use the IRC or Mirc drop menus
on their comps that they added the channels to but it effectively ends access
from the Starchat website for Java users. And if some roleplayer who's been
away awhile returns and doesn't see the #Dagger on the list, what are they
to think?

That the Broken Dagger no longer exists on Starchat?

And how does one find the OPs channel to ask questions or ask for help?

Bad enough that whenever there's no active nick in #Camelot over there that
the chann information is gone and that the website addy is not there for anyone
to visit. But I know there has to be people in the three Dagger channs and the
same thing is happening there as well.

And that's not even taking into account what the description of the +s mode
implies about a channel.

But I guess I'm beating my head against a wall over nothing. Only one person
who views this blog rps at the Dagger so it's highly unlikely they'll ever see this.
And becoming more and more restrictive seems to be more common in rp
channels. Last year the remnants of the Starchat Cams related channels put
a rule in that in order to join their mailists you have to rp in their channels.

But if you can't find the channel, how can you rp in it?

Ah well. Curiouser and curiouser.

No comments: