Tuesday, July 20, 2004

REVENGE OF THE HELLMOUTH

Back when they did the store remodel, they moved
the customer service desk to a new location and
there is a slight bump in the floor under the rug
where the old desk used to be. It's not noticeable
unless your shoe hits it and most of the time it's
under a display table, so no worries.

They moved the display table last Friday.

This morning I arrived at work around 10am and
was mildly irritated to see I was scheduled for
three straight hours at register right off the
bat. As I headed up there, I crossed that dead
spot in the floor and my right heel caught the
bump. Someone who saw it said they saw me trip
then my feet just left the ground as I plunged
forward and did a bellwhumper on the carpet which
doesn't do much to soften the cement floor beneath
it.

I landed on my chest and stomach, knocked the
wind out of myself,banged up my left side and
pretty much scared the (sorry) shit out of myself.

After the initial uproar (amazing how folks jump
to assuming it's a heart attack) I hauled myself
up off the floor using a chair for support and
went back to the break room and sat for a bit.
Eventually I went back out to the register and
lasted the rest of my shifts there, but the 4th
hour at info was nasty. Walking and breathing at
the same time wasn't comfortable.

I had lunch at 2pm, and felt ok while sitting, but
when I went back to the register at 3 still found
it a bit painful, so they let me go home for the
rest of the day (with pay) and I slathered a bit
of Ben Gay on the left side. It feels a bit better
now but getting up and down from a chair is slow,
the car was not fun, and I don't even want to think
about what bed might be like.

The Hellmouth doesn't take well to mockery, it appears.

No comments: