Sunday. The day of rest.
What a beautiful concept.
I have come to appreciate Sundays more as I age.
There is the religious aspect of it,of course,but
I'm not a churchgoer,and I think even the Church
lessened that when they said if you go to a 5pm
mass on Saturday you were covered for weekly
obligation.
No,what I love is the sheer pleasure of knowing
it's my day off,a day when I can do as I please
with no pressure of having to rush about to work.
It's not so many years away from a time when there
were only a few Mom and Pop stores open on Sundays,
and the malls were closed. The heaviest flow of
traffic was going to or coming from the beach or
the mountains.
You took time to sit with your friends or family at
a barbecue,or maybe you did yardwork as a family,
or just lay on your bed with the Red Sox game on
while occasionally you'd hear a car go past outside.
Not so long a time ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment