First of all, I join the rest of the world in mourning the passing of John Paul II.
While I like many other American Catholics might have found his views on
modern issues a bit conservative, I admired his vitality and his humanity towards
the poor and frail. I also believe he did indeed play a larger part in the fall of
Communism in Eastern Europe than most Western Catholics realize. Just his
election itself sent events into motion that are still ongoing.
That being said, it's also true that like others in the Church, he failed in dealing
with the shameful secrets of recent American Catholicism.In this he followed the
old tradtional view of sweeping it under the rug and stonewalling in order to
preserve the image and reputation of the Church. That Cardinal Law, the former
Cardinal of Boston at the height of the scandals, should be interviewed about the
death of John Paul II on national tv this morning only serves to remind Boston
Catholics of the readiness of this Pope and his predecessors to engage in a
shameful cover-up.
As to a successor, I believe the next pope will be an Italian. There has been speculation
that it could be a third world nation cardinal, either from Nigeria or from Brazil, but I
have doubts that will happen. The majority of the cardianls eligible to vote are Italian
and over 70 or close to it, and Holy Spirit or not, they are only human. JPII was a
compromise choice, elected on the third ballot after a similiar group of cardinals back
in 1978 were deadlocked between more popular choices. Many of the present group
were either newly or not yet appointed cardinals. They have had 26 years to watch
that earlier generation's dreams of reaching the Papacy fail and might have learned a
lesson from that.
Also, the Vatican is more than just the papacy. It is a large bureaucracy. Popes come
and go but the Curia remains. A third world pope might mean an influx of officials from
outside the establishment and rather than see that happen, they would work to influence
the selection to preserve their power and position.
Finally, there is the money. The majority of funds that keeps the Church afloat comes
from America and Europe.Given the sad aspects of human nature, a black or hispanic
pope might prove popular in the Third World but it is the Old World that fills the papal
coffers and that might lessen without a white face in the Papal See. An Italian or
European pope won't discomfort that smaller percentage of Catholics who contribute
the larger amount of donations to the Church.
There's some talk of a young (62 is young in the ranks of the Cardinals) Italian candidate
but I'm not sure they will feel moved to select him and then wait another 20 years or so
for the next chance.
I suppose we'll find out if I'm right in two weeks or so. I'm sure if I am a lot of people
will be critical of the church, but hmmm..has there been a black Archbishop of
Canterbury yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment