Sunday, February 20, 2005

WHY COMPUTERS WILL NEVER REPLACE BOOKSELLERS

Yesterday morning as I walked out onto the sales floor, J. called
me over and she asked me to help with a customer. This sweet
little old lady was looking for a cd that J. was coming up with nothing
on.

Me: :"Ok, ma'am. Who's the artist?"
SLOL: "Rod Serling."

I looked at her.

Me: "Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone?"
SLOL: "No, I mean Rod Sterling. I'm sorry!"
ME: "Hmm..I can't find that name in the computer. Are you sure you
don't mean Rod Stewart?"
SLOL: "YES! That's the one!"
ME: "Ok. Do you know which album you want?"
SLOL: "The one with the song `Stargate'.


I thought for a second. I was pretty sure old rod the Mod hadn't done
any song about the sf movie or series.

Me: "You mean `Stardust?'
SLOL: "Yes!!!! That's it!!!"

I took her over and found the album.

They can have all sorts of computers for customers to use, but if they don't
know what they are looking for, they can't find it.

And a computer can't smile back at you.

No comments: