Monday, February 07, 2005

SUPERBOWL AND OTHER MATTERS

Well, the Pats won their third Superbowl, despite what a lot of the national
pundits like Shannon Sharpe and others thought of them. The Patriots don't
get the recognition or publicity that other teams or players do, perhaps because
they don't place themselves as individuals over the other members of the team.

Two camera shots today epitomize the Patriots to me. The first was one of
Tedy Bruschi taking the time to play with his two toddlers on the field sometime
Saturday. The other was freom tonight's game, where Coach Belichik was hugging
Romeo Crennell and Charlie Weiss in a group hug, their faces hidden. It would be the
last time together because his assistants were moving on to be head coaches themselves
after almost 15 years with him.
Both shots show that the Patriots put high value on family and friendship. I respect
that and I think that's why so many New Englanders are proud of how the Patriots
confound their critics to win yet again.

Such a strange time to be a sports fan here. Boston fans are so used to losing (at least
in baseball and football) that the success of the Red Sox and Patriots these past few
years confuzzles us at times.

********************************
Work seems strange these past few months. Although (as you folks who've read this
blog know)it is more stressful than any place I've ever worked, I stay on there. Despite
the oppressive management and the occasional bad customer days, there's the satisfaction
in helping a customer finding the book they need or in having one come back to the store
to tell me how much they enjoyed some book I recommended to them. I love that part
of the business. I love sharing my love of books.

But lately that satisfaction is rarer and rarer. The change in store procedures dictated by
the chain combines with the dictates of The Boss Who Must Be Obeyed and more and
more I wait for the Other Shoe to fall. At the moment, things are just tense all over the
store, so it might fall Real Soon Now. We'll see.
*********************************
I have to get my act in gear and get some writing done. More on that later.
Right now, bed.

No comments: