Monday, June 04, 2007

FIRST KNIGHTS



This is the book that started it all.
I must've been around 8 when my folks bought it for me because
they bought it as the Stop & Shop in Dorchester on Gallivan Blvd.
There were three books, actually. One of the others was “Hans
Brinker and the Silver Skates”. I can’t recall the third one, but
this is the only one of the three I still have some 50 years later.

Its age shows, physically. The binding's loose and frayed and
there’s some red crayon on the cover. Some of the black and white
illustrations inside show where I traced them with a pencil so that
the carbon paper underneath would copy the image to the notebook
paper beneath that.

The first edition was published in 1924 but this one is the third
edition dated 1956, which would confirm the year I think it was
given to me.

From this book, I dove into mythology. The librarian at the
Codman Square Library steered me to the “Age of Chivalry” in
Bulfinch’s Mythology and I devoured the whole book. As I got
older I read any books I could find on ancient and medieval history
and I still have quite a few of them that I’ve bought over the years
within easy reach as I type this. I also have quite a few Arthurian
novels and nonfiction books on the subject. And I've seen nearly
every movie or tv show ever made about Arthur and his knights.

It sparked a lifelong love of history and reading that led me to a
college degree in History and later in life nearly 18 years as a
bookseller. But this was the first. This was the one that got me
hooked on Camelot and history for life!

I wonder how many people’s lives have been shaped by something
they read as a child?

No comments: