Sunday, March 07, 2004

LOOK! IT'S DAYLIGHT, AND I'M HERE!

Uh huh! A miracle, I admit.
Sunday..sunny and a bit cool, but my blinds are open and I am about to
go crack a window open for a few minutes to air the place out.
That's because I'm going to go to the bathroom first.
Ahhhh..the pause that refreshes.
Sundays are my favorite day of the week. I sleep in late, watch some of the talking heads shows if I wake up in time, and then spend the rest of the day loafing.
Well, yes, I do get out of bed and eat, of course! But generally I can do
as I please, read, write, watch tv or a movie. The fact that I can get all
excited about free time is a sad comment, I suppose, on the American
way of life.
The fall of the Sunday Blue Laws could be pointed to as the first step in
the evolution of the culture of today. Saturdays and Sundays once used
to be, for a good portion of the population, time spent with family. Now
with all the stores open all weekend long, and many others working on Saturdays at their jobs, it's just another day.
Too bad. A lot of kids will never know the Sundays my generation knew
growing up.

No comments: